As with any organization, Unitarian Universalism has its own unique set of acronyms. We know this can be confusing, so we've created a primer to help.
- UU: Unitarian Universalist
- UUs: More than one Unitarian Universalist.
- UUA: Unitarian Universalist Association
- UUCR: Unitarian Universalist Church in Reston
- CERG: Central East Regional Group - refers to the UU-affiliated congregations in the mid-Atlantic region. For more information on CERG, click here.
- JPD: Joseph Priestley District - this organizational unit has recently been restructured into CERG.
- GA: General Assembly - the annual conference for UUs, attended by many staff and congregants. Additionally, the GA is the platform for creating policy within UUA. For more information on the General Assembly, click here.
Acronyms Within Faith Development:
- DLFD: Director of Lifespan Faith Development
- DRE: Director of Religious Education. This church position is now called DLFD.
- CYFD: Child and Youth Faith Development, consisting of structured, age-grouped classes on Sunday mornings, Children’s Chapels, special programming, service learning projects, and social events. For more information on our CYFD program, click here.
- YRUU: Young Religious Unitarian Universalists, our church’s youth group for high school students. For more information on our YRUU program, please click here.
- AFD: Adult Faith Development, consisting of structured programs, classes, and discussion groups; spiritual practice opportunities; service learning projects; and understanding your UU identity. For more information on our AFD program, click here.
- OWL: Our Whole Lives, a comprehensive, values-based relationship and sexuality education program offered for all ages. UUCR holds OWL for elementary school, middle school and high school, and partners with other local organizations to offer OWL through adulthood.