Job Description: Music Director
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Job Summary: The Music Director has primary responsibility for the direction and implementation of UUCR’s music program as an integral part of worship and community life.
Supervised by: Minister
- Collaborates with the minister and other service leaders in selecting and directing all music for UUCR worship services, assuring excellence of musical components of the liturgy. Responsible for all music at all services during the church year (First Sunday after Labor Day in September –third Sunday in June), including arranging for accompanists, choir, other church musicians or groups, and visiting musicians as requested and creating and maintaining musical excellence.
- Directs and rehearses all musical groups at UUCR, including adult choir, band, brass quintet, hand bells, periodic children’s choirs, soloists, and other ad hoc musical groups. Rehearses choir once weekly and other groups as schedule requires. Arranges music for groups as needed. Supports choir as small group ministry of the congregation.
- Coordinates music for all special services, including Children’s Pageant, Christmas Eve, memorial services, community vigils, and other services as requested.
- Provides musical support for congregation wide events, including caroling, special events in community, and coordinating at least two congregation wide musical evenings during the church year.
- Provides administrative services for music program, including submitting and monitoring annual plan and budget, maintaining instruments and music library, and submitting monthly and annual reports to minister.
- Participates as colleague on staff leadership team, including weekly staff meetings, ministry wide activities, working with assigned committees, and support for congregants involved in music program as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the minister.
Position is for 10 ½ months (August 1st to third Sunday in June) at 50% time Hours include Sunday morning from 9 to noon every, one evening of choir and other music group rehearsal; one weekly staff meeting from 4:30-6:15 pm and one weekly meeting before 7 pm with Minister. In addition to annual paid leave and sick leave as stipulated by the UUCR personnel policies, the Director of Music may take an additional four Sundays off a year scheduled in consultation with the minister.
Qualifications: Minimum five years’ experience in directing and supporting choirs and instrumental groups; commitment to Unitarian Universalism highly desirable or willingness to learn and support UU principles; excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills; commitment to team work. Experience working with volunteer choirs and musicians desirable.