Job Description: Director of Religious Education (DRE)
Exempt Position/50% Time
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Supervised by: Minister
Supervises: Religious education assistant, child care workers, RE volunteers
- The primary focus of the position is responsibility for running an effective, excellent Sunday program for children and youth: Direct and implement religious education program for children, infancy through middle school, including recruiting, training, screening and coordinating volunteer teachers; selecting curricula for each age group annually; substituting or leading classes; coordinating parent and teacher training; planning and implementing summer programs; and coordinating special religious education or multigenerational events.
- Identify and support youth group advisors in creating program for high school youth.
- Under the direction of the minister, provide Time for All Ages at worship services, offer regular Children’s Chapel and children’s worship time, participate in designing and implementing holidays and other multi-generational worship services, and coordinating family/children events.
- Prepare materials for religious education programs, including annual program brochure, , entries into the E-blast, and other communication with children, youth, parents, and the congregation.
- Oversee administrative functions of the Religious Education program, including assuring annual registration for all students; maintaining weekly records; supervising child care workers and program assistants; obtaining background checks; assuring compliance with the safer congregations program; and complying with the budget.
- Serve as key member of the Ministerial leadership team, including staff meetings, ministry wide activities, working with assigned committees, annual program and budget planning, and support for families as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position is half time for 11 months (August to June). DRE is expected to participate in weekly staff meeting and have at least eight regularly posted office hours during the week (minimum two days per week) in addition to Sundays and preparation time. In addition to annual paid leave and sick leave stipulated by the UUCR personnel policies, the DRE may take an additional four weekends/Sundays off a year in consultation with the minister.
Qualifications: Experience in religious education and congregational life required; experience with children and youth essential; commitment to Unitarian Universalism; Master’s degree in related area preferred; excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication, and organizational skills; commitment to teamwork. Experience working with volunteers desirable.